What is TMS Therapy?
- TMS Therapy is a non-pharmalogical treatment that is FDA-cleared for the treatment of depression.
- It is safe, effective, and non-invasive.
- TMS Therapy uses magnetic pulses to stimulate the parts of the brain that are associated with depression and other brain disorders.
- In depressed patients, parts of the frontal lobe of the brain can be stimulated with a focused magnetic field resulting in a significant improvement in mood, drive, energy, and a sense of well-being.
- Smart Brain and Health offers a unique and exclusive approach by combining functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) and Neuronavigation with stereotactic techniques to precisely target specific areas of the brain. This imaging guided technique has demonstrated a higher percentage of positive patient responses to TMS Therapy.
How does TMS Therapy work?
- Repetitive magnetic pulses non-invasively penetrate through the skull and into the cortex stimulating nerve cells in the brain that are found to be underactive in patients with depression.
- With Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), the magnetic pulses induce tiny electrical charges that can cause the nerve cells to increase their level of activity. When a certain threshold of increased activity of the nerve cells is achieved, then outward signs of mood improve, with higher energy levels and a sense of well-being.
What are the benefits of TMS Therapy?
- No anesthesia required
- No Side Effects*
- Outpatient Procedure
- Targeted (exclusively at Smart Brain and Health)
* Some patients have reported a mild headache during the initial treatments.